Subject: Re: [core-updates-frozen PATCH v2 00/17] Fix Julia on i686-linux.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 19:27:45 +0100

Hi Efraim,

Thanks!

On Sat, 04 Dec 2021 at 19:54, Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I made a couple of changes, mostly to use target-x86-32? and
> target-64bit?. Patches pushed! Thanks.

I get 44 instances using ’string-prefix? “i686”’ vs 5 instance using
’target-x86-32’.  For my information, why is target-x86-32 preferred
here? 

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ find . -name "*.scm" | xargs grep 'string-prefix' | grep i686 
./build-aux/compile-all.scm:    (if (string-prefix? "i686" %host-type)
./guix/utils.scm:      (string-prefix? "i686-" target)))
./gnu/build/bootloader.scm:                            ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/video.scm:     (if (string-prefix? "i686" (%current-system))
./gnu/packages/scheme.scm:                         (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/scheme.scm:                       (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/linux.scm:               (or (string-prefix? "i686-" system)
./gnu/packages/maths.scm:        ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/maths.scm:               (string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/maths.scm:                       (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/maths.scm:                                  (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/image.scm:                                    ((string-prefix? "i686" target)
./gnu/packages/tls.scm:                           ((string-prefix? "i686" target)
./gnu/packages/databases.scm:                      ,@(if (string-prefix? "i686" (%current-system))
./gnu/packages/music.scm:                         (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/music.scm:                            (string-prefix? "i686" system)))
./gnu/packages/music.scm:                         (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:         ,@(if (string-prefix? "i686" (or (%current-target-system)
./gnu/packages/gl.scm:         ,@(if (string-prefix? "i686" (or (%current-target-system)
./gnu/packages/algebra.scm:              ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm:               (when (string-prefix? "i686" ,(%current-system))
./gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm:                                     ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm:                              (string-prefix? "i686" system)))
./gnu/packages/xorg.scm:     (filter (lambda (system) (string-prefix? "i686-" system))
./gnu/packages/xorg.scm:       (filter (lambda (system) (or (string-prefix? "i686-" system)
./gnu/packages/compression.scm:       ,@(if (string-prefix? "i686" (or (%current-target-system)
./gnu/packages/compression.scm:                        ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/compression.scm:                 ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/node.scm:                                        ((? (cut string-prefix? "i686" <>))
./gnu/packages/node.scm:                                         ((? (cut string-prefix? "i686" <>))
./gnu/packages/haskell-web.scm:       #:tests? ,(not (string-prefix? "i686" (or (%current-target-system)
./gnu/packages/package-management.scm:                                     (string-prefix? "i686" system)))
./gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm:                      (string-prefix? "i686" system))
./gnu/packages/graph.scm:                                        ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/graph.scm:                                       ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/lean.scm:                   (not (or (string-prefix? "i686" arch)
./gnu/packages/virtualization.scm:                  ((? (cut string-prefix? "i686" <>))
./gnu/packages/virtualization.scm:   ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/virtualization.scm:                                   ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/packages/password-utils.scm:                         (string-prefix? "i686" system)) "sse2")
./gnu/ci.scm:    (and (or (string-prefix? "i686-" system)
./gnu/system/install.scm:                                      (string-prefix? "i686" %host-type))))
./gnu/tests/install.scm:   ((string-prefix? "i686" system)
./gnu/tests/install.scm:                            ((string-prefix? "i686" #$system)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ find . -name "*.scm" | xargs grep 'target-x86-32'
./guix/utils.scm:            target-x86-32?
./guix/utils.scm:(define* (target-x86-32? #:optional (target (or (%current-target-system)
./tests/utils.scm:(test-equal "target-x86-32?"
./tests/utils.scm:  (map target-x86-32?
./gnu/packages/webkit.scm:             ,@(if (target-x86-32?)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Cheers,
simon