Subject: Re: bug#52183: 29.0.50; Empty space in the mode line if server-mode is active

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 21:04:19 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's sheer luck, an artifact of the particular implementation in
> display_min_width.  Specifically, the stretch glyph is appended when
> we see a new Lisp string, so the " " separator after those elements
> plays that role.  That's why we get that extra space before "@" in the
> situation described by this bug report: that "@" is the first Lisp
> string that follows mode-line-mule-info, and mode-line-mule-info is
> produced as C strings.

Hm...  I see...  I think.  I though I had that covered, but I haven't
tried to re-debug the code after we started discussing this.

> Thus, concatenating the strings before propertizing is really needed
> for this to work on a group of strings.

It's possible, but I thought I was seeing something else.  I'll try to
do some more poking at the code.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no