Subject: 29.0.50; process-environment not used in async-shell-command

From: Damien Merenne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:33:40 +0100

When running an async process, the value of `process-environment' is
lost, in 'emacs -Q' scratch buffer:

    (let ((process-environment "EDITOR=test"))
      (shell-command "env &"))

and the output is my normal environment, not the limited one. When
removing the &, it works okay. I managed to pinpoint the problem to the
call to `with-current-buffer' in simple.el:4229. As process-environment
is buffer local, it is not passed in the process buffer. This patch
fixes it but I have no idea if this is the correct way to fix it:

@@ -4194,7 +4194,8 @@ shell-command
                               (or output-buffer shell-command-buffer-name-async)))
                      (bname (buffer-name buffer))
                      (proc (get-buffer-process buffer))
-                     (directory default-directory))
+                     (directory default-directory)
+                     (process-env process-environment))
 		;; Remove the ampersand.
 		(setq command (substring command 0 (match-beginning 0)))
 		;; Ask the user what to do with already running process.
@@ -4237,7 +4238,7 @@ shell-command
                                 (format "COLUMNS=%d"
                                         async-shell-command-width)))
                           (comint-term-environment)
-                          process-environment)))
+                          process-env)))
 		    (setq proc
 			  (start-process-shell-command "Shell" buffer command)))
 		  (setq mode-line-process '(":%s"))

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.25, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-11-29 built on workstation.lan
Repository revision: f5498a608fe85b66a4068a5ccf88c9b3d3b88f98
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Ubuntu 21.04

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils --with-gnutls
 --with-modules --with-json --without-gpm --with-file-notification=yes
 --with-xwidgets --without-selinux --with-libsystemd --with-jpeg
 --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-rsvg --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_BE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_BE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_BE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C/*lw

Minor modes in effect:
  bloom-global-minor-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  magit-wip-after-apply-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  tree-sitter-hl-mode: t
  global-tree-sitter-mode: t
  tree-sitter-mode: t
  dtrt-indent-global-mode: t
  dtrt-indent-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  selectrum-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  bepo-global-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: yas--auto-fill
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/jsonrpc/jsonrpc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/jsonrpc
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/xref/xref hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/progmodes/xref
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/flymake/flymake hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/project/project hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/progmodes/project
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/home/dam/.emacs.d/straight/build/eldoc/eldoc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug misearch multi-isearch pulse vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-cvs vc-rcs vc cl-print helpful trace
edebug info-look help-fns elisp-refs mule-util form-feed epa-file slack
slack-company slack-unread slack-websocket slack-thread-event
slack-room-event slack-star-event slack-reaction-event slack-reply-event
slack-typing slack-slash-commands slack-message-event slack-event
slack-dialog-edit-element-buffer slack-dialog-buffer slack-dialog
slack-stars-buffer slack-search-result-buffer
slack-thread-message-compose-buffer slack-file-list-buffer
slack-file-info-buffer slack-all-threads-buffer slack-message-buffer
slack-user-profile-buffer slack-pinned-items-buffer slack-pinned-item
slack-thread-message-buffer slack-room-info-buffer slack-room-buffer
slack-message-share-buffer slack-message-edit-buffer
slack-room-message-compose-buffer slack-message-compose-buffer
slack-message-attachment-preview-buffer slack-action slack-star
slack-reminder slack-search slack-message-reaction slack-message-editor
slack-message-sender slack-message-notification alert log4e
notifications dbus gntp slack-buffer slack-message-formatter
slack-thread slack-im slack-channel slack-group slack-conversations
slack-create-message slack-attachment slack-selectable slack-bot-message
slack-user-message slack-file slack-message slack-message-faces
slack-unescape slack-block slack-mrkdwn slack-usergroup slack-reaction
slack-modeline slack-room slack-counts slack-user slack-bot
slack-dnd-status slack-emoji slack-image slack-request slack-log lui
tracking shorten slack-team slack-team-ws slack-util websocket bindat
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs slack-autoloads
emojify-autoloads ht-autoloads alert-autoloads log4e-autoloads
gntp-autoloads circe-autoloads oauth2-autoloads websocket-autoloads
bloomlife bloom-mode eglot array jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace
bloom-sensor gdb-mi bloom-tools bloom-magit bloom-magit-bitbucket
atlassian-bitbucket bloom-magit-build bloom-project bloom-test-runner
bloom-build bloom-cmake bloom-conan bloom-bbw bloom-target bloom-common
bloom-pkg bloomlife-autoloads sonar sonar-autoloads circleci
circleci-autoloads atlassian atlassian-jira atlassian-common request
atlassian-autoloads request-autoloads magit-async-section
magit-async-section-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads
hcl-mode-autoloads cargo-autoloads racer smartparens-rust rust-utils
rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo
racer-autoloads pos-tip-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads rubocop
rubocop-autoloads robe etags fileloop generator inf-ruby robe-autoloads
inf-ruby-autoloads rbenv rbenv-autoloads ruby-mode smie
smartparens-python python tramp-sh smartparens-scala scala-mode
scala-mode-prettify-symbols scala-mode-imenu scala-mode-map
scala-mode-fontlock scala-mode-indent scala-mode-paragraph
scala-mode-syntax scala-mode-lib scala-mode-autoloads java-imports
pcache eieio-base java-imports-autoloads form-feed-autoloads
elisp-format flymake-proc flymake flyspell elisp-format-autoloads
test-runner-ert elfmt elfmt-autoloads cask-mode cask-mode-autoloads
docker docker-volume docker-network docker-image docker-container
docker-faces docker-compose docker-utils json-mode json-snatcher
smartparens-javascript js docker-core docker-autoloads
json-mode-autoloads json-snatcher-autoloads docker-tramp-autoloads
docker-tramp tramp-cache dockerfile-mode-autoloads djinni-mode
djinni-mode-autoloads cov-autoloads elquery-autoloads gud-lldb cmake-api
cmake-api-autoloads test-runner-catch2 test-runner-catch2-autoloads
eglot-clangd-autoloads eldoc-cmake eldoc-cmake-autoloads
cmake-font-lock-autoloads cmake-mode smartparens-rst rst
cmake-mode-autoloads android android-autoloads pbuf pbuf-autoloads gud
xref forge-list forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck
forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github
forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml
bug-reference forge-post forge-repo forge forge-core forge-db
forge-autoloads yaml-autoloads closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql
emacsql-compiler closql-autoloads emacsql-sqlite-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub url-http url-gw nsm
url-auth ghub-autoloads treepy-autoloads git-timemachine vc-git
vc-dispatcher git-timemachine-autoloads magit-extras magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff-mode git-commit log-edit message yank-media rmc rfc822
mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode
transient magit-git magit-section magit-utils magit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads transient-autoloads
tree-sitter-langs tree-sitter-langs-build tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode
tree-sitter-hl tree-sitter tree-sitter-load tree-sitter-cli tsc tsc-dyn
tsc-dyn-get tsc-obsolete tree-sitter-langs-autoloads
tree-sitter-autoloads tsc-autoloads eglot-autoloads flymake-autoloads
project-autoloads xref-autoloads eldoc-autoloads jsonrpc-autoloads
dtrt-indent dtrt-indent-autoloads diff ispell reformatter
reformatter-autoloads test-runner project test-runner-autoloads
vterm-autoloads ag vc-svn find-dired ag-autoloads dired-collapse
dired-collapse-autoloads dired-rainbow dired-rainbow-autoloads
dired-narrow delsel dired-narrow-autoloads dired-ranger-autoloads
dired-subtree-autoloads dired-filter f s dired-hacks-utils dired-x
dired-filter-autoloads dired-hacks-utils-autoloads dired-aux
yaml-mode-autoloads plantuml-mode plantuml-mode-autoloads pdf-occur
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc
imenu pdf-tools package pdf-view jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq
pdf-util pdf-macs pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads
tablist-autoloads xwwp eww xdg url-queue shr kinsoku svg dom mm-url gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs xwwp-autoloads xwidget
url-handlers image-mode exif browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap osx-browse-autoloads browse-url-dwim-autoloads
string-utils-autoloads smartparens-markdown markdown-mode noutline
outline markdown-mode-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads
kv-autoloads yasnippet yasnippet-autoloads wgrep grep compile
wgrep-autoloads cap-words superword subword string-inflection
string-inflection-autoloads smartparens-config smartparens-text
smartparens-c smartparens-ruby smartparens dash smartparens-autoloads
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto mmm-vars
mmm-utils mmm-compat mmm-mode-autoloads iedit iedit-lib iedit-autoloads
autorevert filenotify marginalia marginalia-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-dash consult-selectrum consult bookmark
text-property-search consult-dash-autoloads consult-autoloads
embark-autoloads selectrum minibuf-eldef crm selectrum-autoloads
orderless orderless-autoloads corfu corfu-autoloads
ns-auto-titlebar-autoloads all-the-icons-dired-autoloads all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons all-the-icons-autoloads
ligature ligature-autoloads solarized-dark-high-contrast-theme
solarized-palettes solarized-theme solarized solarized-faces color
solarized-theme-autoloads use-theme use-theme-autoloads password-store
with-editor server password-store-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
auth-source-pass url-parse url-vars unicode-fonts
unicode-fonts-autoloads ucs-utils-autoloads font-utils-autoloads
persistent-soft-autoloads list-utils-autoloads cl pcache-autoloads
daemons daemons-autoloads smtpmail sendmail mail-utils tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete comint ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp auth-source
eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache envrc inheritenv
ansi-color envrc-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util bepo
which-key advice which-key-autoloads time savehist recentf tree-widget
edmacro kmacro helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads f-autoloads
s-autoloads dash-autoloads exec-path-from-shell
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads so-long diminish diminish-autoloads
dash-docs use-package-dash-docs gnutls puny format-spec xml json map
dash-docs-autoloads async async-autoloads no-littering
no-littering-autoloads finder-inf use-package-ensure-system-package
system-packages use-package-ensure-system-package-autoloads
system-packages-autoloads use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core use-package-autoloads bind-key-autoloads cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit straight-autoloads straight info autoload radix-tree
easy-mmode pcase checkdoc lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr dired dired-loaddefs thingatpt comp
comp-cstr warnings rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq gv subr-x
byte-opt cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 951887 739595)
 (symbols 48 65848 4)
 (strings 32 298876 339972)
 (string-bytes 1 10134341)
 (vectors 16 127606)
 (vector-slots 8 3430125 852341)
 (floats 8 1324 1784)
 (intervals 56 13228 1365)
 (buffers 992 35))