Subject: Re: bug#52176: Problem with email list tags

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:15:07 -0700

Ulf Zibis wrote:
> Currently we have:
> List-Post: GNU coreutils Bug Reports <[email-masked]>
> 
> When using "reply list" to answer to a comment of bug 12345 in a email client such as Thunderbird, my reply is sent to [email-masked], but it should be sent to [email-masked]
> 
> So I think, we should have:
> List-Post: GNU coreutils Bug Reports <[email-masked]>
> 
> Alternatively the following tag could be added:
> Reply-To: [email-masked]

Please send comments, complaints, gripes, or suggestions about the BTS
to the help-debbugs AT gnu.org mailing list instead.  GNU Coreutils is
a user of the BTS but not a maintainer of the BTS.

Note that if a reply to bug-coreutils (or any of the BTS bug lists)
contains a subject containing "bug#52176" then the BTS will route it
to 52176 AT debbugs.gnu.org automatically.  Or at least it is supposed
to be routing it automatically.  Therefore either should actually work
correctly.

Note that if someone sends several messages with the same subject then
there is also logic in the BTS to try to route later messages to the
same bug ticket as the first message.  This is defeated if all of the
messages arrive at once.  But works if there is enough delay for the
first message to be allowed to create a ticket before subsequent
messages arrive.  Usually when we see multiple tickets created from a
user sending multiple messages it is due to them arriving into the BTS
all at the same time.  Hint for people moderating spam through
Mailman, send the first one through but pause a moment or three before
sending the follow-ups through.

Bob