Subject: bug#52173: `ś' character not available using `C-x 8'

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:49:31 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:43:34 +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> said:

    Lars> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> Except C-x 8 is nominally based on ISO 10646, so thereʼs some kind of
    >> underlying logic to the characters it supports.

    Lars> In what way it it based on Unicode?

Sorry, ISO 8859-1, not 10646

    Lars> Adding `C-x 8 ' s` for instance, wouldn't get in the way of anything
    Lars> else, but would be helpful for those that have to write the
    Lars> occasional...  er...  what is it?  An s with a caron?  
    >> 
    >> s with acute. But there are input methods where 's => s with cedilla
    >> (eg Romanian), so what's the logic for preferring Polish, especially
    >> when we already have Polish/Czech/Romanian/latin-n methods etc for all
    >> these characters?

    Lars> I wasn't aware that there was any kind of logic to the `C-x 8' map
    Lars> except "well, that's nice".  😀

:-)

Looking again at iso-transl.el, perhaps we could define a 'Polish' and
'Czech' language. But again this all duplicates existing
infrastructure in input methods.

Robert
--