Subject: bug#52173: `ś' character not available using `C-x 8'

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:06:48 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:55:23 +0100, Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]> said:

    Tor> But when I'm writing with another input method, there comes up (not so
    Tor> often) the need to write some Polish name like Skowroński (also nothing
    Tor> for `C-x 8 ' n') or Kieślowski and it might be quicker to have the
    Tor> key-binding rather than changing the input method (or extending it for
    Tor> all the characters).  The same happens for other languages, like Czech,
    Tor> where if you're writing a name with a `ž' it'd be faster to do something
    Tor> like `C-x 8 v e' than to switch to a Czech input method.

    Tor> I'm attaching a patch for `C-x 8' to include with Polish characters.
    Tor> It's missing `ż', for which I cannot of a good key-binding for (`C-x 8 .'
    Tor> is taken).  Any ideas?

There are hundreds of characters that you could add to C-x 8, thereʼs
nothing particularly special about Polish and Czech: this is why input
methods exist. What might be more useful is an input-method ring, so
you could quickly switch between 2 or more input methods.

Robert
--