Subject: Re: bug#52172: Fix vc-git--program-version to support Git for macOS version string

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 03:57:00 +0300

Hi Lars!

On 29.11.2021 17:47, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Justin Schell<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>> `topic.fix-vc-git--program-version.ignore-trailing.patch` updates the
>> regexp used to match numeric version strings that are a combination of
>> digits and dots (starting with a digit), ignoring anything else that
>> comes after. Any trailing dots are then stripped. This is more general
>> than the current approach of supporting a numeric version string only,
> I think this approach makes the most sense, but perhaps Dmitry has an
> opinion here (added to the CCs).

Looks good to me (especially with included tests). The 
trailing-dot-stripping approach, that is.

I would even suggest to try to get it into emacs-28 (given that 
apparently that functionality has been broken in macOS for a long time).

But then again, if it's only been reported now, maybe it's not hugely 
important and Emacs 28 can live without it.