Subject: bug#52168: 29.0.50; Gnus buffers unexpectedly killed by project-kill-buffers

From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 21:54:39 +0100

1. Open a "project" file, say emacs in ~/Sources/emacs/lisp/outline.el
where ~/Sources/emacs contains GNU Emacs sources

2. From the buffer visiting outline.el, start reading mail with gnus

3. Switch back to outline.el buffer and call project-kill-buffers

4. Gnus buffers like *Group*, .newsrc-dribble, etc. are killed. This is
unexpected.

I've seen that the default-directory of *Group*, .newsrc-dribble,
etc. buffers is ~/Sources/emacs/lisp. But the project-kill-buffers logic
is based on buffer default-directory having the project root as
prefix. Thus *Group*, .newsrc-dribble, etc. buffers are killed by
project-kill-buffers.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-11-27 built on carbon
Repository revision: 338f7802373f1cfcc1b3749bbd46091fdef727f4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  highlight-changes-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-layout-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/matthias/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/matthias/.config/emacs/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(edebug finder-inf semantic/wisent/grammar semantic/bovine/grammar
semantic/bovine semantic/grammar semantic/idle semantic/analyze
semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/grammar-wy semantic/format semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet generic cc-awk sh-script executable make-mode apropos autoconf
autoconf-mode shr-color nndoc gnus-dup url-cache debbugs-gnu debbugs
soap-client rng-xsd xsd-regexp debbugs-browse log-view time grep
cus-start tramp-archive tramp-gvfs tramp-cache zeroconf gnus-fun
flow-fill mm-archive smiley gnus-cite qp gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
gnus-topic nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 epa-file gnutls network-stream
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache
mailalias smtpmail shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail
log-edit pcvs-util smerge-mode diff whitespace cl-print mule-diag
hl-line dabbrev misearch multi-isearch pulse reftex-dcr reftex
reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars tex-mode mule-util shortdoc help-fns
radix-tree add-log checkdoc lisp-mnt url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
mhtml-mode css-mode smie sgml-mode typescript-mode yaml-mode hideshow
cap-words superword subword js python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp follow view
enriched disp-table facemenu dired-aux bug-reference
display-line-numbers hilit-chg vc-dir reveal flyspell ox-odt rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda ox-html table
ox-ascii ox-publish ox goto-addr org-element avl-tree ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi
org-link-doi vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc
bash-completion shell eglot array jsonrpc ert ewoc debug backtrace
flymake-proc flymake compile imenu company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-clang
company-capf company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb avoid minions company pcase carbon-custom cus-edit cus-load
gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-win nnoo gnus-int gnus-range message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit gnus-dired dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
org-capture org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601
time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs dictionary link connection
advice markdown-mode edit-indirect color thingatpt noutline outline
skeleton find-file vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher ispell comp
comp-cstr warnings rx cl-extra help-mode desktop frameset server
bookmark text-property-search pp saveplace elec-pair icomplete so-long
autorevert filenotify autoinsert cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs generic-x
face-remap proof-site proof-autoloads info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2441288 968693)
 (symbols 48 52799 45)
 (strings 32 380048 37832)
 (string-bytes 1 13137332)
 (vectors 16 119634)
 (vector-slots 8 2757532 884272)
 (floats 8 764 2067)
 (intervals 56 218793 3395)
 (buffers 992 165))

-- 
Matthias