Subject: [bug#52162] [PATCH] gnu: subversion: Add --enable-plaintext-password-storage flag

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:08:17 -0500

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 03:41:10PM +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> * version-control.scm (subversion): Enable plain text passwords while
> compiling SVN, undoing the controversial move to disable them by the
> maintainers. See also
> https://lists.apache.org/thread/b6g2hx2m3s117wcmno08opl874ons3q8.

Thanks for the patch!

> -       #:configure-flags '("--enable-static=no")
> +       #:configure-flags '("--enable-static=no"
> +                           "--enable-plaintext-password-storage")

In general, in Guix, we aim to distribute software as it was released by
upstream. We do make changes to fix bugs, but it's outside our normal
activity for us to change defaults from upstream.

This is partly a pragmatic choice (less work to maintain) and partly a
way in which we choose to be "good citizens" with respect to our role as
distributors. But also, because Guix makes it easier for users to
customize their packages compared to other systems like APT and RPM.

I would like to hear other peoples' opinions before we decide about this
patch.