Subject: bug#52148: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Make `project-kill-buffers' display list of buffers to kill

From: Matthias Meulien <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:46:31 +0100

This is a feature request. I would find convenient and safer to list
buffers to kill when `project-kill-buffers' is called.

The attached patch is an attempt to implement this feature, inspired by
what I read in `save-buffers-kill-emacs' implementation.

>From 2041a621ba5be0c4b2f563a554263b37d4192ce2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Matthias Meulen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:43:20 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] `project-kill-buffers` displays list of buffers to kill

* lisp/progmodes/project.el (project-kill-buffers):
Temporarily display list of buffers to kill
---
 lisp/progmodes/project.el | 23 ++++++++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 20 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/lisp/progmodes/project.el b/lisp/progmodes/project.el
index ed076a683d..0d8ed3646a 100644
--- a/lisp/progmodes/project.el
+++ b/lisp/progmodes/project.el
@@ -1281,9 +1281,26 @@ project-kill-buffers
            (mapc #'kill-buffer bufs))
           ((null bufs)
            (message "No buffers to kill"))
-          ((yes-or-no-p (format "Kill %d buffers in %s? "
-                                (length bufs)
-                                (project-root pr)))
+          ((with-current-buffer-window
+                (get-buffer-create "*Buffer List*")
+                `(display-buffer--maybe-at-bottom
+                  (dedicated . t)
+                  (window-height . (fit-window-to-buffer))
+                  (preserve-size . (nil . t))
+                  (body-function
+                   . ,#'(lambda (_window)
+                          (list-buffers-noselect nil bufs))))
+                #'(lambda (window _value)
+                    (with-selected-window window
+                      (unwind-protect
+                          (progn
+                            (setq confirm nil)
+                            (yes-or-no-p
+                             (format "Kill %d buffers in %s? "
+                                     (length bufs)
+                                     (project-root pr))))
+                        (when (window-live-p window)
+                          (quit-restore-window window 'kill))))))
            (mapc #'kill-buffer bufs)))))
 
 
-- 
2.30.2

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-11-27 built on carbon
Repository revision: 338f7802373f1cfcc1b3749bbd46091fdef727f4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  highlight-changes-visible-mode: t
  goto-address-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-layout-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/matthias/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/matthias/.config/emacs/elpa/dictionary-20201001.1727/dictionary hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/net/dictionary

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug sendmail log-edit pcvs-util
smerge-mode diff whitespace cl-print mule-diag hl-line dabbrev misearch
multi-isearch pulse reftex-dcr reftex reftex-loaddefs reftex-vars
tex-mode mule-util shortdoc help-fns radix-tree add-log checkdoc
lisp-mnt url-http url-auth url-gw nsm mhtml-mode css-mode smie sgml-mode
typescript-mode yaml-mode hideshow cap-words superword subword js python
tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x
tramp-compat ls-lisp follow view enriched disp-table facemenu dired-aux
bug-reference display-line-numbers hilit-chg vc-dir reveal flyspell
ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn
nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar
org-agenda ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox goto-addr org-element
avl-tree ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs vc bash-completion shell eglot array jsonrpc ert ewoc debug
backtrace flymake-proc flymake compile imenu company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags etags fileloop generator xref project
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-capf company-cmake company-semantic
company-template company-bbdb avoid minions company pcase carbon-custom
cus-edit cus-load gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-win nnoo gnus-int gnus-range message
yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
gnus-dired dired-x dired dired-loaddefs org-capture org-refile org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs dictionary link connection advice markdown-mode
edit-indirect color thingatpt noutline outline skeleton find-file vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher ispell comp comp-cstr warnings rx
cl-extra help-mode desktop frameset server bookmark text-property-search
pp saveplace elec-pair icomplete so-long autorevert filenotify
autoinsert cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs generic-x face-remap proof-site
proof-autoloads info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 685836 76682)
 (symbols 48 40552 1)
 (strings 32 162716 13581)
 (string-bytes 1 5304884)
 (vectors 16 76386)
 (vector-slots 8 1642333 90680)
 (floats 8 721 1258)
 (intervals 56 23699 2008)
 (buffers 992 143))