Subject: Re: bug#52139: jupyter trying to modify /gnu/store

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 22:41:21 +0100

Hi Lars,

Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> The JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR search path was added to ‘python-jupyter-core’ in
>> commit 1683e9d9677d54f695a54fc44ed309287989fc34.  Lars, what are you
>> thoughts?
> Please *do not* remove this environment variable. It is required, because
> packages like jupyterlab drop a config file into this directory.

But precisely: as Alexander wrote, when JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR points to the
store, jupyterlab cannot drop a config file there.  Or am I missing
something?

BTW, if JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR is meant to contain a directory name, as
opposed to a colon-separated search path, we should make this change:

diff --git a/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm b/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
index b3a350aca4..57f66e18f1 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm
@@ -8479,6 +8479,7 @@ (define-public python-jupyter-core
     (native-search-paths
      (list (search-path-specification
             (variable "JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR")
+            (separator #f)                        ;single entry
             (files '("etc/jupyter")))
            (search-path-specification
             (variable "JUPYTER_PATH")

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.