Subject: bug#52139: jupyter trying to modify /gnu/store

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:27:49 +0100

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Asteroth <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I found the cause:
>
> in ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile environment variables are set for jupyter:
>
>> export JUPYTER_PATH="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/ichrcarq2k4lhdmm2izc3f1xjbziz49v-profile}/share/jupyter${JUPYTER_PATH:+:}$JUPYTER_PATH"
>> export JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR="${GUIX_PROFILE:-/gnu/store/ichrcarq2k4lhdmm2izc3f1xjbziz49v-profile}/etc/jupyter${JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR:+:}$JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR"
>
> The jupyter config path causes the problem, since jupyter tries to write
> into it (and it is located in a read only filesystem). Unsetting the
> environment variable solves the issue.

I can’t reproduce it with:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix describe
Generacio 196	Dec 06 2021 11:23:08	(nuna)
  guix 9478a25
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: 9478a252509a93f3e7f486cbc549631185ba071d
$ guix shell jupyter -CN --no-cwd -- jupyter notebook
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Perhaps that’s because I didn’t trigger actions that would cause Jupyter
to attempt to write to $JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR?

The JUPYTER_CONFIG_DIR search path was added to ‘python-jupyter-core’ in
commit 1683e9d9677d54f695a54fc44ed309287989fc34.  Lars, what are you
thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.