Subject: 29.0.50; column-number-mode causes point to jump around

From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:50:52 -0400

If emacs is started with:

emacs -nw -q -l /home/jrm/.emacs.d/custom-lite.el blah

with custom-lite.el only containing

(custom-set-variables
  '(column-number-mode t))

Then typing characters will cause the point to move around in unexpected
ways.  For example, when typing

12345678

into the scratch buffer, after the 8 in entered, the point is moved back
to the second column (over the 3).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, amd64-portbld-freebsd13.0, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
Repository revision: 11860f8
Repository branch: master
System Description: 13.0-RELEASE-p4

Configured using:
 'configure --disable-build-details --localstatedir=/var
 --without-libsystemd --without-selinux --with-x --enable-acl
 --with-cairo --without-dbus --without-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --without-gsettings --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-harfbuzz --with-jpeg
 --with-json --with-file-notification=kqueue --with-lcms2
 --with-m17n-flt --without-imagemagick --without-mailutils
 --with-modules --without-native-compilation --with-sound=oss
 --with-libotf --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg
 --with-threads --with-tiff --with-webp --with-xft --with-xim
 --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-xwidgets --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --disable-silent-rules
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd13.0 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong -isystem /usr/local/include
 -fno-strict-aliasing ' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem /usr/local/include' 'LDFLAGS=
 -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib ''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF
LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS
TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search time-date seq mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib term/screen
term/xterm xterm gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal kqueue lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 61100 8854)
 (symbols 48 7383 1)
 (strings 32 21035 2184)
 (string-bytes 1 667848)
 (vectors 16 11777)
 (vector-slots 8 139727 9901)
 (floats 8 27 231)
 (intervals 56 259 0)
 (buffers 992 11))