Subject: Re: bug#52128: 29.0.50; column-number-mode causes point to jump around

From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:56:24 -0400

On Sat, 2021-11-27 at 07:46, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 15:50:52 -0400

>> If emacs is started with:

>> emacs -nw -q -l /home/jrm/.emacs.d/custom-lite.el blah

>> with custom-lite.el only containing

>> (custom-set-variables
>>   '(column-number-mode t))

>> Then typing characters will cause the point to move around in unexpected
>> ways.  For example, when typing

>> 12345678

>> into the scratch buffer, after the 8 in entered, the point is moved back
>> to the second column (over the 3).

> I cannot reproduce this.  Does it happen with "emacs -Q"?  If not,
> some of your site-init files could be related to this.

It does happen with

   emacs -nw -Q -l /home/jrm/.emacs.d/custom-lite.el blah

as well.  One correction from my report above is that I said 'the
scratch buffer' above.  That's not correct.  Specifying some empty, or
non-existent file (blah above) is required.