Subject: bug#52126: Problematic characters in info node names

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:04:37 +0200

On 2021-11-29, 19:52 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 09:44:17 -0800
>> Cc: [email-masked], Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>,
>>  Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> I read in (info "(texinfo) Node Line Requirements") that:
>> 
>>    * Unfortunately, you cannot reliably use periods, commas, or colons
>>      within a node name; these can confuse the Info reader.  Also, a
>>      node name may not start with a left parenthesis preceding a right
>>      parenthesis, as in '(not)allowed', since this syntax is used to
>>      specify an external manual.  (Perhaps these limitations will be
>>      removed some day.)
>
> This is mainly because of the stand-alone Info reader.  The Emacs Info
> mode copes with these characters in node names much better.
>
> So yes, it is desirable to avoid them, but it isn't a catastrophe if
> they are there.

Thanks!

I just removed the problematic characters from my repo.  Though this
change will be brought into emacs.git as part of my next tagged release
(in a few weeks).

Two questions then:

1. Do you want me to change this now on the trunk?
2. This affects the emacs-28 branch.  Should I patch that as well?

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com