Subject: Re: bug#52115: Suggestion: LN command should swap TARGET and LINK_NAME if LINK_NAME already exists

From: Chris Elvidge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 20:01:33 +0000

On 29/11/2021 07:07 pm, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 11/29/21 02:34, Ulf Zibis wrote:
>> I think, for beginners it would be less confusing, if the most simple 
>> form would be the first.
> 
> Unfortunately the simple form "ln TARGET" is quite rarely used, so 
> putting it first is likely to confuse beginners even more than what we 
> have already. Come to think of it, perhaps we should put the simple form 
> last instead of 2nd.
> 

I use 'ln -s "source"' quite a lot for linking into e.g. /usr/local/bin 
from my own $HOME/bin.

The real problem could be with the terminology.
'ln [options] TARGET [LINK_NAME]'; the TARGET is really the source, 
which obviously must exist. A TARGET is really something you aim at.

Perhaps it should be changed to 'ln [options] source [link]'

-- 

Chris Elvidge