Subject: bug#52103: guix pull: guix-manual.drv' failed with exit code 1, In procedure copy-file: Permission denied

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 08:49:37 +0000

Hey,

I'm having trouble pulling on a aarch64-linux machine, both from master
and core-updates-frozen, and they fail with similar output.

I'm having trouble debugging this, as the Guile exception is missing
some information, and make as-derivation from a checkout works.

Chris

cbaines@hatysa ~$ guix pull --branch=core-updates-frozen

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   c9208be
Computing Guix derivation for 'aarch64-linux'... -
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/vhm1bn8z6iqxdpla6jmc7ylg0alz6pis-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/30gif6v7w0rmb5xlsqgiqjg2ybri8qij-guix-c9208beb3.drv
   /gnu/store/0y1pjrhy5hsa81x1g3grc0kl1w4f8pfw-guix-daemon.drv
   /gnu/store/caiy8iw4f22g203syi731lid1cnk1jnq-guix-command.drv
   /gnu/store/p0rfxyxspf92bfhwmyc62yg9d0p55rm1-guix-module-union.drv
   /gnu/store/r9z37y7jgya7lk6sv5x5djghq7vph7bv-guix-c9208beb3-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/3wkn62g0sbfixlr1fjdr12488pqd169y-guix-packages-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/lc9dl1m53ayxs1yi385ai52b9s9cicch-guix-packages.drv
   /gnu/store/jw31s7x3q277kb7213qkfvy8x0qlqqvk-guix-packages-base.drv
   /gnu/store/afg9bwj2lca7mr6wsi3hvp494bycpra0-guix-config-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/dyl3jj5hfingrgm1ga318anskxlavpfn-guix-cli-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/a62rk5d75hv0k3nkjdi13d3pfwj0h9wv-guix-cli.drv
   /gnu/store/6ww1sclrdh440szpcgs0fi0z0rnw6ajg-guix-cli-core.drv
   /gnu/store/iqxxvbj6fab2cq90a6nj8dhrr4aavf6f-guix-home.drv
   /gnu/store/v7zdm61kblpf97pl5mvsvq39snzhz2ln-guix-system.drv
   /gnu/store/h0imqgqvcki9r6y4lic6c7jkaqv06di9-guix-system-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/r6avzlgwls8srdnm0w3zyq3nf8v9w18b-guix-home-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/rpavv1nfdff6ikxi4aqvvpzq0wihi4ma-guix-packages-base-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/sxhza441cfi4kd3yfx2ghc2r3bb7janb-guix-system-tests-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/qbps1dackns4lxg1d9aakwdj06gx78h7-guix-system-tests.drv
   /gnu/store/zhbjyhahwpm6k703nclkcaca1dqdd42q-guix-cli-core-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/8vgzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv
   /gnu/store/qzvivcxylgxff7m67af6dr26k077q0ak-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/vw8cfxyvdfc64kqiw7dlsiskcbw49220-inferior-script.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/0bz8mbn6hvvhcqdiyiybppbkfynycffn-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/cyddd8z4nnq3d9b3lipcczvy3jx5nrpv-mkfontdir-1.0.7.drv
   /gnu/store/zf7lysz561szrac706i4y3yq2sajvgkc-mkfontscale-1.2.1.drv
   /gnu/store/h1rn3c6ii90k8d3cbmjz7337qa5sqlqy-libfontenc-1.1.4.drv

building /gnu/store/0bz8mbn6hvvhcqdiyiybppbkfynycffn-module-import-compiled.drv...
building /gnu/store/afg9bwj2lca7mr6wsi3hvp494bycpra0-guix-config-modules.drv...
building /gnu/store/8vgzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv...
/builder for `/gnu/store/8vgzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/8vgzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/8v/gzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/30gif6v7w0rmb5xlsqgiqjg2ybri8qij-guix-c9208beb3.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
building /gnu/store/h1rn3c6ii90k8d3cbmjz7337qa5sqlqy-libfontenc-1.1.4.drv...
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/vhm1bn8z6iqxdpla6jmc7ylg0alz6pis-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build of `/gnu/store/vhm1bn8z6iqxdpla6jmc7ylg0alz6pis-profile.drv' failed

cbaines@hatysa ~$ bzcat /var/log/guix/drvs/8v/gzidn9cbzkg5q2wsfsf85z1pvy71dv-guix-manual.drv.bz2
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories
Backtrace: 
           4 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/114h4vsjax7pg8ys10wc69dg32s?")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  3 (_ #f)
In ice-9/ftw.scm:
   505:39  2 (loop _ _ #(66306 6043095 16749 2 0 0 0 4096 # 1 # # ?) ?)
In guix/build/utils.scm:
   403:27  1 (_ "/gnu/store/p6kks0n0vpvdj60ajzpzx98gnmw0wa4b-guix-t?" ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (copy-file "/gnu/store/p6kks0n0vpvdj60ajzpzx98gnmw0wa4?" ?)

ERROR: In procedure copy-file:
In procedure copy-file: Permission denied

cbaines@hatysa ~$ guix time-machine -- describe
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 9edb3f6 to 4fd6aab (153 new commits)...
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/radhcq80wj69hy9596jfsyxc2555x8lz-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
Computing Guix derivation for 'aarch64-linux'... |
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/pa2apwy1nypkxggh3p75yi9rmghn0xjy-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/pdbv64gcy97cm3xw9iwnxzd6npazvp5s-guix-4fd6aabea.drv
   /gnu/store/15isg3dacdd4mrk2ss693f4d5gq9a3i0-guix-4fd6aabea-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/1nfyirnhgvclac6803xnbnqzf9hfbxl1-guix-cli-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/ybg5c8i0yzywb60hxdfk7awcgg79gl4l-guix-cli.drv
   /gnu/store/70kp1znhddi33r73ms2p8zi61kkdrbbj-guix-home.drv
   /gnu/store/knks8y0x0pwb4c5k4y505778n06hy5y3-guix-packages-base.drv
   /gnu/store/szrk1pp731c6r8s91wypjywz61ja4h4m-guix-system.drv
   /gnu/store/yn8hpnb13hh96n7wb3s9rfhl87rhkph8-guix-packages.drv
   /gnu/store/bib44la3naljgbg9p6picbhmmb38y8lb-guix-cli-core.drv
   /gnu/store/2nd3ba1n7zykp3c27hfcf6bag09zk9xg-guix-system-tests-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/hwxpf2l482nlw4ak666p5qp2dc01alqv-guix-system-tests.drv
   /gnu/store/9xzn3xikkrrn9q2c34pbzyzrb74n05jd-guix-cli-core-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/izmj1rpiml4fcsnwg2ydkg75f7v0jmlk-guix-system-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/kfn1pk6czjx9mgpphimc1ps1j4xl2x3j-guix-config-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/6cy5v22zs2b8gfynsdkghjv0xad70n0l-guix-config.drv
   /gnu/store/n3g1x0n2lqzvvklhp1r0rdvdb44plj74-guix-config-source.drv
   /gnu/store/pdikdxrp7cz5pq8d6pgzxyr19h5lfdcy-config.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/mzbbbkayap4gxc5vnlw98myqzgpidcgz-guix-packages-base-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/ngkx0zs8mvhhj0ajjj4ky0n2myvsn81j-guix-home-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/yxgcpwci6ray5py6rw41appvqdvxxs66-guix-packages-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/g55hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv
   /gnu/store/vbj608cqr7zmcqszr9fs8k9ifbnp91i1-guix-daemon.drv
   /gnu/store/xsfyk00cyl0z45warm9g348ks7gmr3rd-guix-command.drv
   /gnu/store/3b8n4hg3anwjwd14b6wh1sdl5v61984p-guix-module-union.drv
   /gnu/store/2j0lldy5sls4g9mbz208lsir2sd8g73y-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/rdmx65wl7qnjfxr4g3w1vgxfbsfgfi5a-inferior-script.scm.drv

building /gnu/store/g55hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv...
\builder for `/gnu/store/g55hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv' failed with exit code 1
build of /gnu/store/g55hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/g5/5hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv.bz2'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/pdbv64gcy97cm3xw9iwnxzd6npazvp5s-guix-4fd6aabea.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/pa2apwy1nypkxggh3p75yi9rmghn0xjy-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix time-machine: error: build of `/gnu/store/pa2apwy1nypkxggh3p75yi9rmghn0xjy-profile.drv' failed

cbaines@hatysa ~$ bzcat /var/log/guix/drvs/g5/5hf0qbs3yhwrvi3lq5v4xaj1bw9mrd-guix-manual.drv.bz2
Backtrace: 
           4 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/h9n0ssml2v8j9bzxxx1zjj0swn3?")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  3 (_ #f)
In ice-9/ftw.scm:
   505:39  2 (loop _ _ #(66306 8660889 16749 2 0 0 0 4096 # 1 # # ?) ?)
In guix/build/utils.scm:
   345:27  1 (_ "/gnu/store/4wfkj6z151b97f54415g39apc58chsx7-guix-t?" ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (copy-file "/gnu/store/4wfkj6z151b97f54415g39apc58chsx?" ?)

ERROR: In procedure copy-file:
In procedure copy-file: Permission denied