Subject: 28.0.50; (thing-at-point thing) returns blank string in buffer with only whitespace

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 11:27:14 +0100

1. emacs -Q
2. Open new buffer "bug"
3. Enter a few spaces or newlines, but buffer is otherwise empty
4. M-: (thing-at-point 'word) -> Result is string with white space "   "

The things `word`, `sexp`, `defun`, `sentence` are also affected.

On Emacs 27, (thing-at-point 'symbol) returns returns also a string with
white space only, but this has been fixed apparently in Emacs 28.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 58, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-08-13 built on projects
Repository revision: 30ca42b49d5b5316abb3ebad38b0e9629eb52920
Repository branch: deferred-highlighting-version2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/user/emacs/install --with-cairo'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode
vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 54675 6014)
 (symbols 48 7151 1)
 (strings 32 20367 1488)
 (string-bytes 1 668047)
 (vectors 16 13557)
 (vector-slots 8 183392 10013)
 (floats 8 23 39)
 (intervals 56 199 1)
 (buffers 992 12))