Subject: bug#52097: closed (Re: bug#52097: 28.0.50; Regression - posn-at-point returns wrong result if overlay is present)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:09:04 +0000

Your bug report

#52097: 28.0.50; Regression - posn-at-point returns wrong result if overlay is present

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52097: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52097
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52097: 28.0.50; Regression - posn-at-point returns wrong result if overlay is present
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 16:08:37 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:52:01 +0100
> 
> > Should be fixed now on the release branch.
> 
> Thank you. I confirm that the issue has been fixed.

Thanks for testing, I'm therefore closing the bug.

Subject: 28.0.50; Regression - posn-at-point returns wrong result if overlay is present
From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 11:13:04 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. emacs -Q
2. Create new buffer bug.el
3. Activate flymake-mode (for the overlay)
4. Enter "  invalid-ident" (note the spaces at the beginning)
5. Wait until the flymake overlay appears

6a. Move the point to the buffer beginning
7a. M-: (posn-x-y (posn-at-point)) -> (0 . 0) is reported, correct

6b. Move the point to the beginning of "|invalid-ident" with the overlay
7b. M-: (posn-x-y (posn-at-point)) -> (26 . 21) is reported, Y wrong

6c. Move the point to the right, "i|nvalid-ident"
7c. M-: (posn-x-y (posn-at-point)) -> (39 . 0) is reported, correct

This bug is a regression of Emacs 28. I cannot reproduce this on Emacs
27, there I always get Y=0.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 58, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-08-13 built on projects
Repository revision: 30ca42b49d5b5316abb3ebad38b0e9629eb52920
Repository branch: deferred-highlighting-version2
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/user/emacs/install --with-cairo'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  mml-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(kmacro pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra time-date subr-x autoload
radix-tree checkdoc lisp-mnt help-mode cl-macs cl-seq flymake-proc
flymake compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring warnings
thingatpt vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cl-loaddefs cl-lib
bug-reference seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv two-column
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71359 11512)
 (symbols 48 8479 2)
 (strings 32 24937 1971)
 (string-bytes 1 821235)
 (vectors 16 16877)
 (vector-slots 8 214845 16955)
 (floats 8 40 25)
 (intervals 56 530 0)
 (buffers 992 18))