Subject: bug#52092: closed (Re: bug#52092: 28.0.60; hs-toggle-hiding does not toggle once folded)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 15:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52092: 28.0.60; hs-toggle-hiding does not toggle once folded

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52092: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52092
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52092: 28.0.60; hs-toggle-hiding does not toggle once folded
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: kobarity <[email-masked]>
Cc: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>, Thien-Thi Nguyen <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 11:10:26 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

[ Added Thien-Thi and Dan to the Cc since they're listed as maintainers
  of `hideshow.el`.  ]

kobarity [2022-09-24 14:59:56] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> The patch below should fix it.
> Thanks, I didn't know `last-nonmenu-event'.  I confirmed that the
> patch enables the mouse to hide the clicked block.

I pushed it to the `emacs-28` branch, because it's fixing a stupid regression.

>> I had no idea that (posn-point (posn-at-point POS)) doesn't return POS
>> if POS is within an invisible chunk of text and instead returns the next
>> visible position.
>> 
>> I'll have to think about how best to fix the consequence.
>
> Thank you for consideration.

I pushed to `master` a patch which makes `event-end` return a position
that's always at `point` for keyboard events, even if `point` is hidden.
That should bring back the previous behavior (it's not safe enough for
the `emacs-28` branch, sadly).

But I think your patch is still an improvement since it makes
`hs-toggle-hiding` work even when point is right after the hidden block.
I also like the additional tests you provide.
So I adjusted it to the new code and pushed it to `master`.

Thank you,

        Stefan

Subject: 28.0.60; hs-toggle-hiding does not toggle once folded
From: Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 13:10:51 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With hs-minor-mode enabled, I could hide the visibility of a block with
hs-toggle-hiding, but using it again doesn't unfold the region.

Tested with c-mode and css-mode.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2021-11-25 built on purism
Repository revision: 0854453ec2343cbfac3ac8e233cdc7bd2c8554a9
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
  'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_IN
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t
   hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
hideshow vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 125023 9196)
  (symbols 48 10111 1)
  (strings 32 30461 3484)
  (string-bytes 1 1135663)
  (vectors 16 20448)
  (vector-slots 8 388478 20146)
  (floats 8 31 60)
  (intervals 56 377 0)
  (buffers 992 13))