Subject: Re: bug#5208: 23.1.90; M-x gud-gdb: Tab Completion Produces Spurious Ctrl-M Characters

From: Steve Revilak <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:10:34 -0500

>From: Nick Roberts <[email-masked]>

>I think the spurious Ctrl-M characters appeared with Leopard and weren't
>present in Tiger but, in any case Apple GDB has it's own behaviours tailored
>for their Xcode application.  For best results, and no ^M characters, download
>the latest (7.0) FSF gdb (http://sourceware.org/gdb/download/) or checkout
>from the CVS repository (http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/) which both build on
>Darwin.

Nick,

Thanks for responding, but I object to closing 5208 for two reasons:

   * With Emacs 23.1.90.1, the ^M characters appear under both Mac OS
     10.4.11 and Mac OS 10.5.8.

   * With Emacs 22.3.1, the ^M characters do not appear in Mac OS X
     10.4, nor do they appear in Mac OS X 10.5.

To put it another way:

  --------------------------------------
|                | Emacs 22 | Emacs 23 |
|----------------|----------|----------|
| Mac OS 10.4.11 | No ^M    | Yes ^M   |
| Mac OS 10.5.8  | No ^M    | Yes ^M   |
  --------------------------------------

The ^M issue is correlated with the version of Emacs; not the version
of underlying operating system, and not the gdb binary supplied by the
underlying operating system.

I understand that support for an FSF gdb would be more of a priority
than support for an Apple gdb.  However, since M-x gud-gdb worked
correctly on Mac OS X with Emacs 22, I feel that it should also work
correctly on Mac OS X with Emacs 23.

Steve