Subject: [bug#52075] [PATCH 3/4] gnu: Add python-notmuch2.

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:32:20 +0100

Hi,

Quoting Nicolas Goaziou (2021-11-27 10:15:06)
> Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:
> […]
> > I don't have an objection to the version using inheritance.
> 
> I applied the patch set. Thanks to Tanguy for it, and to you for the
> feedback!

Thanks!

> > I am still curious in learning about the differences between the two
> > packages if only for my own edification.
> 
> I cannot help here, unfortunately.

`python-notmuch2` contains the new binding that uses CFFI.
`python-notmuch` contains the "old" binding which, I guess, will be
deprecated at some point.

There's not much in the documentation or the mailing list about why they
decided to work on the new binding, though.

> > Hopefully that clarifies, and sorry for adding noise to this review.
> 
> No problem! I think you raise an interesting question: does inheritance
> in Guix imply strong internal dependency between the project inheriting
> and the one being inherited?

Actually, I have to admit that I have the same reserve about using
inheritance. But it's totally fine with me to use it as a mechanism
to reduce code duplication.

Regards,

-- 
Tanguy