Subject: bug#52074: 29.0.50; Add key binding for find-library

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 01:00:54 +1300

On 2021-11-24 20:20, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I picked this key binding for mnemonic reasons (h -> help, l ->
>> library) and because 'C-h C-l' seems to be unbound in emacs -Q.
> 
> Hm...  Finding a library isn't exactly a help command, so I think it
> would be somewhat confusing to put it there.  But I don't have a good
> suggestion for where to put otherwise.

Library commentaries are one of the primary sources of documentation
in Emacs, so I think it's pretty help-related.

FWIW I use this same binding, and in my mind it makes excellent sense
to use C-h C-l for `find-library' if you also have:

C-h C-v for `find-variable'
C-h C-f for `find-function'
C-h C-k for `find-function-on-key'

All of which feel (to me) analogous to C-h v, C-h f, and C-h k: Without
the Ctrl modifier you view the docstrings; with it you view the code.

(Admittedly C-h l is unconnected, but that hasn't bothered me.  
Following
my pattern that would probably be bound to `finder-commentary', but I'm
not suggesting we move `view-lossage' elsewhere.)

I guess my main point is that I do think of *all* of these things as
help-related, as I consider reading the code as just the next step up
from reading the docstrings.

-Phil