Subject: bug#52073: closed (Re: bug#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 18:14:01 +0000

Your bug report

#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52073: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52073
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], raingloom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 13:13:35 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 01:24:55PM +0100, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
> Given that we have GNOME 40/41 on master right now with GVFS supporting
> Google as it did before, is this still relevant?

Since the bug report was a reaction to WebKitGTK being broken, and it's
no longer broken, I'm closing the ticket [0].

When packages break occasionally, we have to decide if we should remove
them from the distro or if we can should try maintain the status quo.

My experience with WebKitGTK is that the build is quite reliable. That's
why I pushed the broken update to begin with: it always worked in the
past. There's no need to rewrite the dependency graph just because I was
lazy and don't have a very fast computer.

[0] Anyone can reopen it by sending a message with "reopen 52073" to
<[email-masked]>.
https://debbugs.gnu.org/server-control.html

Subject: remove Google support from GVFS?
From: raingloom <[email-masked]>
To: Guix Bugs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 06:00:15 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'd love to say it's because I want the package to be more in line with
libre software guidelines, but honestly I just don't want WebKitGTK as
a transitive input. A few weeks ago I had to remove GVFS from my system
because WebKitGTK was failing to build.

Then again if I had to connect to Google Drive or Picasa or whatever
I'd rather do it through libre software, so maybe it should stay.

Too bad we still don't have package options.

So, what do yall think, should I just create a custom package on my own
channel that disables all that junk, or is this something everyone
wants?

ps.: if any GVFS devs are reading this, the bug that caused me to
almost delete my entire file system is still unaddressed. :)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/202
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/364