Subject: bug#52063: 28.0.60; Confusing presentation of lambda

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:44:42 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 12:19:51 -0500
> 
> >> > But perhaps others have other opinions here?
> >> Compile your code and the problem goes away (because you'll never see
> >> (lambda ...) or (closure ...) values, they'll all be
> >> byte-code-functions instead ;-)
> > I don't want to compile my .emacs.
> > Any other words of wisdom before I write this off as another annoyance
> > of lexical-binding, and take care to disable that wherever I can?
> 
> The other word of wisdom is:
> Don't add lambdas to hook.  Always name those functions.

So this issue is specific to hooks?  I thought add-hook is just a
fancy way of consing a list, but you seem to say that it has some side
effects that other constructs don't?

IOW, would manually consing a list with a lambda-function produce the
same results, or would it leave the lambda-function intact?