Subject: bug#52061: 29.0.50; gnus seems to ignore gnus-parameter-to-list-alist

From: Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 11:41:38 -0500

I read the ACM RISKS Forum as gmane.comp.security.risks newsgroup.

When I try to reply, my message composition buffer contains

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.security.risks
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

despite `gnus-parameter-to-list-alist` containing

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
     ("gmane.comp.security.risks" "[email-masked]")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and when I hit C-c C-c to sent, I get

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Sending...
Sending news via news.gmane.io using nntp...
441 gmane.comp.security.risks is read-only 
Couldn’t send message via news: 441 gmane.comp.security.risks is read-only 
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1519))
 of 2021-11-22 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: d737bfe911fc46f520fece46dfc930561272ab8d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/l

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug canlock rot13 bbdb-message mailalias sendmail cookie1
nndoc flow-fill sort smiley gnus-cite mm-archive gnus-bcklg gnus-async
gnus-dup mail-extr gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat gnus-uu
yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus gnutls network-stream nntp cal-move
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook
ein-python-send ein-traceback ein-pytools ein-pager ein-completer
ein-notification ein-scratchsheet ein-worksheet poly-ein
display-line-numbers quail polymode poly-lock polymode-base
polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat polymode-methods
polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base color
ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-shared-output ein-output-area ein-kernelinfo
ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-events ein-websocket websocket bindat ein-file
ein-node ein-notebooklist ein-contents-api ein-query ein-log ein-classes
ein-core request autorevert filenotify anaphora ein-utils deferred dash
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ein cl-print debug backtrace log-edit pcvs-util
smerge-mode diff dabbrev misearch multi-isearch skeleton latexenc
tramp-cmds bug-reference shortdoc add-log vc-hg vc-bzr tramp-cache
remember vc-dir ewoc vc tex-mode dired-aux flyspell ispell org-element
avl-tree ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus
dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message mailcap yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win ol-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode exif dired dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol rx org-keys oc org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-x view cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam
holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian
solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets cl-extra yasnippet flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
company-capf company pcase help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy elpy-rpc
pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor
ido grep compile etags fileloop generator xref project cus-edit pp
cus-start python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec comint ansi-color vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher midnight warnings gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server advice server winner ring which-func
imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv url-vars help-at-pt desktop frameset cl-loaddefs
cl-lib cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 849736 124436)
 (symbols 48 39465 6)
 (strings 32 259540 31488)
 (string-bytes 1 8302759)
 (vectors 16 112646)
 (vector-slots 8 2371991 157271)
 (floats 8 1157 688)
 (intervals 56 17151 4492)
 (buffers 992 86))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://ffii.org https://camera.org https://jij.org https://honestreporting.com
The software said it requires Windows 3.1 or better, so I installed Linux.