Subject: bug#52055: 29.0.50; emoji-insert garbles terminal display on tsdh-dark theme

From: Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 17:34:48 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > If nothing helps, please post screenshots showing the problematic
>> > display.
>> I disabled auto-composition-mode (with M-x auto-composition-mode) in
>> emacs -Q -nw and then selected the theme.
>> This is the display after emoji-insert (C-x 8 e i)
>
> Is this better or worse than with auto-composition-mode enabled?

It's nearly the same, i think.

> The problem is that Emacs expects each Emoji character to take 2
> columns, but the terminal emulator doesn't necessarily behave like
> that, as can be clearly seen from the images.  And that is the
> problem.  (With auto-composition-mode Emacs expects each Emoji to take
> just 1 column, so it's probably even worse.)

Ohh, could it be related to libXft? i mean, that's what terminals use
and libXft dosen't handle emoji at all.

A lot of terminal emulators workaround this problem by handling emojis
manually. st dosen't do that and hence i use a patched libXft that
handles emojis too.
The patch is at:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxft/merge_requests/1.patch

If you try to display emojis on st without patched libXft, it just
crashes.

>
>> (unrelated: does copying to xorg's clipboard with emacsclient -nw on a terminal
>> emulater work? don't think it works for me now so just wanted to ask
>> to confirm) 
>
> How do you copy to the clipboard from a -nw session?

By normal copy commands (C-w and M-w). i think it worked before. it even works on
android (by launching emacs on termux). but now it can't access
clipboard or set it. I'm using an emacs-daemon if that matters.

i'll download 27.2 to see if it worked.

-- 
The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue, a custom
whereof the memory of man runneth not howsomever to the contrary, nohow.