Subject: bug#52055: 29.0.50; emoji-insert garbles terminal display on tsdh-dark theme

From: Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 17:22:07 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I suspect that the terminal emulator does things that Emacs doesn't
>> expect.  There's an entry in etc/PROBLEMS about problematic behavior
>> of another emulator (search for "Kitty"): perhaps yours does something
>> similar?

forgot to mention in previous mail, but i don't think st does anything
special. it's focus is to do as minimal as possible and let users add
functionality they want.

>>First thing to try is to disable auto-composition-mode.
>>
>> If nothing helps, please post screenshots showing the problematic
>> display.
>
> I'm wondering whether we should just disable the `C-x 8 e e' command on
> non-GUI -- it relies on presenting things in a tabular fashion, and we
> just don't have a way to interrogate the terminals about whether they
> support grapheme clusters like 🧏🏾 or not.
>
> The other commands (like `C-x 8 e s') would work.

Could something "barebones" for terminals like

s Smilieys smiley-emojis \t t travel & places-emojis

work? basically, it'd only be a simple display similar to normal text
but groups are tab separated (maybe with a tab width of 8 in-case
tab-width is something else). 

-- 
Show respect for age.  Drink good Scotch for a change.