Subject: Re: bug#52055: 29.0.50; emoji-insert garbles terminal display on tsdh-dark theme

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 19:16:26 +0200

> From: Bird <[email-masked]>
> Cc: bird <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 16:59:54 +0000
> 
> > If nothing helps, please post screenshots showing the problematic
> > display.
> I disabled auto-composition-mode (with M-x auto-composition-mode) in
> emacs -Q -nw and then selected the theme.
> This is the display after emoji-insert (C-x 8 e i)

Is this better or worse than with auto-composition-mode enabled?

> St does double buffering i heard (idk what that means tho 😜) but that
> shouldn't be problematic as other terminals do that too.

Double buffering has nothing to do with it.  The problem is that Emacs
expects each Emoji character to take 2 columns, but the terminal
emulator doesn't necessarily behave like that, as can be clearly seen
from the images.  And that is the problem.  (With
auto-composition-mode Emacs expects each Emoji to take just 1 column,
so it's probably even worse.)

> (unrelated: does copying to xorg's clipboard with emacsclient -nw on a terminal
> emulater work? don't think it works for me now so just wanted to ask
> to confirm) 

How do you copy to the clipboard from a -nw session?