Subject: bug#52055: 29.0.50; emoji-insert garbles terminal display on tsdh-dark theme

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:43:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I suspect that the terminal emulator does things that Emacs doesn't
> expect.  There's an entry in etc/PROBLEMS about problematic behavior
> of another emulator (search for "Kitty"): perhaps yours does something
> similar?  First thing to try is to disable auto-composition-mode.
>
> If nothing helps, please post screenshots showing the problematic
> display.

I'm wondering whether we should just disable the `C-x 8 e e' command on
non-GUI -- it relies on presenting things in a tabular fashion, and we
just don't have a way to interrogate the terminals about whether they
support grapheme clusters like 🧏🏾 or not.

The other commands (like `C-x 8 e s') would work.

Or perhaps we should have a user option that disables all the emoji
commands on non-graphical displays, and then people that know that their
terminals support it can switch it on.  Because otherwise I think we're
going to be getting a lot of these bug reports about this.

Or...  on non-graphical displays, the commands could say "These commands
are likely to produce odd display results in most terminals; continue?"

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no