Subject: 29.0.50; Nonsensical button "C-x C-f" in scratch buffer

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:05:32 +0800

Start emacs with `emacs -Q', and click on the "C-x C-f" in the initial
scratch message.  You will get this nonsensical error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Current buffer is not in Help mode")
  signal(error ("Current buffer is not in Help mode"))
  error("Current buffer is not in Help mode")
  help-buffer()
  help-setup-xref((#f(compiled-function #'buffer #<bytecode -0x1c5aa85c15071043>) find-file #<buffer *scratch*>) nil)
  describe-function(find-file)

I also don't understand why it makes sense to have a button there.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 290, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-11-23 built on trinity
Repository revision: 5c4136f56465c6b2c65fb3577603879cdbbe7f97
Repository branch: x-window-xwidget
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Fedora Linux 35 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM
XPM XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
text-property-search seq gv byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-fns radix-tree time-date subr-x help-mode cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56631 6540)
 (symbols 48 6880 1)
 (strings 32 22129 1214)
 (string-bytes 1 717211)
 (vectors 16 14316)
 (vector-slots 8 191056 8952)
 (floats 8 23 55)
 (intervals 56 201 0)
 (buffers 992 10))