Subject: Re: bug#52051: [core-updates-frozen] cannot login ('org.freedesktop.login1' service times out)

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 09:35:42 +0000

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've found a workaround: restarting elogind via SSH resolved the issue.
>
> I guess itt may be a race between elogind and dbus-system (elogind gets
> started before dbus-system is fully up, and the communication with the
> session bus is somehow crippled from there?).

Does this happen with other login managers on your system, like LightDM?
The thing is that elogind depends on dbus-system, so I'm not sure there
should be a race there.

I noticed though that none of our desktop managers's shepherd services
require elogind, and in the case of SLiM not even dbus-system.  Maybe we
should add it there, since we want Shepherd to handle launching elogind,
and avoid dbus launching one by itself if the login1 service is used or
even by the PAM elogind module.  Can you try adding that to
slim-shepherd-service?

Also, maybe patching the dbus service to Exec=false instead would be a
good safeguard against dbus launching elogind itself.

Tangentially: SLiM is very old and unmaintained, so it may one day
simply break with newer versions of systemd/elogind.

Best,
Josselin Poiret