Subject: bug#52044: Various Program Settings not Saving and Icons not Recognized

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 21:50:42 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 02.12.2021, 20:16 +0000 schrieb Jaft:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 02.12.2021, 02:10 +0000 schrieb Jaft:
> > > I had noticed that the core-updates-frozen branch had been merged
> > > so
> > > I upgraded but found things pretty much the same as before.
> > Please come back, you're within the wrong timeline.
> 
> Oh, I don't mean that I used another branch; I saw it got merged to
> master (I believe) so I just did a guix pull and then guix upgrade.
> I'm still using stable. Sorry about the confusion!
I am jokingly referring to the fact that core-updates-frozen is not yet
merged to master.  If you do live two years in the future, please tell
me the lotto numbers.  I need them before I die.

> > > I saw an old patch (
> > > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=e311ef4f87f7ad8db2114e5f89961eea0240893b
> > > ) and, while I'd checked rofi for gdk-pixbuf+svg – before –, –
> > > somehow – it made me think to check librsvg, this time, and found
> > > that it was using gdk-pixbuf, rather than gdk-pixbuf+svg. I then
> > > made a package inheriting librsvg but using gdk-pixbuf+svg,
> > > instead, and made a package which inherited rofi but used my
> > > librsvg package and, with that installed, rofi worked with .svgs,
> > > then.
> > > 
> > > Am I right in assuming librsvg ought to be using the latter, as
> > > the library deals directly with handling SVGs? If so, I can put
> > > together a patch to submit.
> > Have you checked using gdk-pixbuf+svg as input to rofi directly?  I
> > don't see why we would have to go in circles for librsvg, the
> > component you're trying to use is gdk-pixbuf.
> 
> I just checked and it does; I was going off of the package formation
> in Guix but, checking the listed dependencies on the rofi GitHub page
> (
> https://github.com/davatorium/rofi/blob/next/INSTALL.md#external-libraries
> ), it does list gdk-pixbuf as one so, perhaps, it makes more sense to
> build with that instead of librsvg.
> 
> I had assumed the package inputs for rofi were already accurate and,
> if gdk-pixbuf doesn't have SVG support while gdk-pixbuf+svg does, it
> seemed plausible that gdk-pixbuf+svg would be the preferred package
> for librsvg as librsvg is dealing with SVGs, perhaps part of the
> reason for SVG icons not getting rendered in applications like
> Thunar, XFCE, etc. (that being said, I'm unfamiliar with the librsvg
> code so, perhaps, this assumption of how the gdk-pixbuf dependency is
> being used is incorrect, on my part).
Writing a short letter takes time.  So to summarize, librsvg is not
actually a dependency of rofi, gdk-pixbuf (with SVG support) is. 
Anything missing?

> In any case, librsvg is not listed as a dependency for rofi while
> gdk-pixbuf is and swapping librsvg for gdk-pixbuf+svg in the rofi
> package still seemed to build it alright (and render SVGs) so, at
> least directly for rofi, directly using dgk-pixbuf+svg would still
> solve the SVG issue for it.
Now that that's cleared up, you might want to synthesize a patch from
it.  Is there anything else that was swept under the rug and that we'd
need to actually resolve before closing this bug after fixing rofi?

Cheers