Subject: Re: bug#52: FW: [mouse-1 in Customize should respect mouse-1-click-follows-link]

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:09:50 -0400

>>> Click mouse-1 on a link in a Customize buffer that is a link to
>>> another option name or similar. That is, on text between `' that is
>>> highlighted with mouseover (`mouse-face').  The link is followed.

Yes, Custom has always used mouse-1 clicks for that purpose, AFAIK.

> The actual key binding in these buffers for the mouse is:

> <down-mouse-1>	widget-button-click
> <down-mouse-2>	widget-button-click

> How is `mouse-1-click-follows-link' generally supposed to work?  Is

This is supposed to let mouse-1 clicks follow links otherwise only
accessible via mouse-2 clicks (i.e. when there's no binding for mouse-1
on this button/link).

It relies on the `follow-link' text-property and/or key binding to
specifies when this fallback is applicable.

That was introduced in reaction to people complaining about the
non-standard Emacs convention of using mouse-2 to follow links.
But actually some part of Emacs already used mouse-1 to follow links,
such as Customize, so these aren't affected by
mouse-1-click-follows-link.

I think in this present case, Custom should better follow Emacs
conventions and hence only bind mouse-2 and then rely on the follow-link
feature to make mouse-1 also work for those users who like it.

        Stefan