Subject: 28.0.60; temacs with native-compilation fails unless invoked from src

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:32:22 +0200

When temacs (not emacs) is invoked, it is supposed to load all the
preloaded Lisp files, and then start up normally.

However, with Emacs 28 compiled with native-compilation, this
strangely not always works.  Here's what I found:

  . On GNU/Linux:

    - cd src && ./temacs -Q -nw works as expected
    - ./src/temacs -Q -nw fails with this error message:

      Symbol's function definition is void: internal-echo-keystrokes-prefix

  . On MS-Windows:

    - cd src && ./temacs -Q -nw works as expected
    - ./src/temacs -Q -nw works, but loads *.elc files instead of *.eln

In all the cases, temacs was invoked from the build directory.  I
don't understand why the different behavior.  Any ideas?

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 25, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-11-17 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: fa0b34b716ba31a6414d12de67c8f30706caad96
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
d:/gnu/git/emacs/native-comp/lisp/shorthands hides d:/gnu/git/emacs/native-comp/lisp/emacs-lisp/shorthands

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp
comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode seq
byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 85042 11923)
 (symbols 48 9017 1)
 (strings 16 25577 4033)
 (string-bytes 1 784068)
 (vectors 16 17570)
 (vector-slots 8 308751 19296)
 (floats 8 28 128)
 (intervals 40 269 112)
 (buffers 888 11))