Subject: Re: bug#51993: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Killing emacsclient terminal with `server-stop-automatically' doesn't prompt to save files

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:12:22 -0800

On 11/29/2021 4:41 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> However, I'm not sure I understand the way forward, as you see it.
> AFAIU, there are fundamental disagreements between you and Gregory,
> and I don't think the disagreements are there because one of you
> doesn't understand the proposals of the other.

I think there may be some of both. Since, from Gregory's perspective 
I've been changing what I want, and from my perspective I've always 
wanted the same thing, it seems that there's at least some 
miscommunication happening. Hopefully my proposal helps to explain my 
position more clearly (and in a single message, rather than scattered 
across several).

There may still be some disagreements, and I'm happy to incorporate 
anything I've missed into the proposal if people would find that useful. 
On the other hand, if it's easier to just work on a patch that everyone 
would be happy with (or at least be able to tolerate), that's ok too.

> So how could these disagreements be reconciled?  Either you-two come
> up with some compromise that is acceptable by both of you, or Lars and
> myself make the decision for you (and we don't guarantee you will like
> it), or things are left as they are now.  What will it be?

Hopefully Gregory and I can reach a compromise; the Implicit Shutdown 
case in my proposal is an initial attempt at incorporating Gregory's 
desired behavior (it was the behavior Gregory first proposed in the 
thread on emacs-devel). I'm primarily interested in the Explicit 
Shutdown case though; I may have missed some things in that section as 
well, but like I said, I'm happy to add more to it if anyone has things 
they'd like to be added.

That said, no matter if Gregory and I can reach a compromise, I think it 
would be helpful if you and/or Lars could take a look if you have time 
to be sure the behavior makes sense to you and that it's something you'd 
want to be in Emacs. Since this might have relevance for other Emacs 
features (e.g. emacsclient.desktop[1]), I think it would be good to have 
as many experienced eyes on this as possible.

In the end, so long as everyone is clear what the behavior should be, 
and that it's documented as such so there's no confusion about what's a 
bug and what's intended behavior, then I don't have any (major) 
problems. Obviously, I'd be happy if my preferred behavior were a part 
of Emacs, but if you and Lars don't think it should be, then I can just 
continue what I've been doing: add advice to the necessary server.el 
functions in my config so things work how I like.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-10/msg01846.html