Subject: bug#51993: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Killing emacsclient terminal with `server-stop-automatically' doesn't prompt to save files

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 20:37:04 +0000

>> This is not a bug, this is the intented behavior of that feature
>
> I started that discussion (and participated throughout it), and I don't 
> think we actually agreed that this was the intended behavior.
>

This is the behavior I intended (and described in the docstring and 
manual), if you prefer.  And you did not make further comments in 
bug#51377, which can be interpreted as a kind of agreement.

>
> I should stress that the case I brought up above is just a 
> counterexample to show a problem with a previous implementation strategy
>

Which problem?

>
> The current behavior on Emacs 29 certainly isn't what I personally 
> intended when bringing the idea up on emacs-devel.
>

Is the current behavior of Emacs 29 with my patch and 
(server-stop-automatically 'kill-terminal) still not what you want?  If 
not, what is missing?

>
> I'm concerned that we're now up to 4 different behaviors, when I think 
> two of them are just the result of a miscommunication between the two of 
> us.
>

They are not, AFAICS.  The four behaviors are four reasonable options, 
each of which can (and is) described in a short paragraph, and corresponds 
to a different user preference.  I see no reason to remove any of the 
current three behaviors because of an unspecified "problem".  Especially 
given that all these behaviors are implemented in only ~50 lines of Lisp.