Subject: bug#51991: guix deploy with (with build-locally #f) needlessly syncs build artifacts

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:33:27 +0100

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> While configuring a machine setup for building the packages remotely, I
>> observed that all substitutes were first retrieved on the local host.
>>
>> Since the intent is to deploy the remote machine and have it build the
>> package itself, this is a wasteful use resources.  The remote machine
>> should fetch the or substitutes or package sources itself.
>
> I'm not sure the above is accurate because near the end of deploy it
> only transferred a handful of megabytes.  I suspect it needed something
> to compute the derivations locally, perhaps grafts?  For example, I have
> openjdk installed on the remote machine, and it was downloaded locally
> (more than 100 MiB download IIRC), but it was never transferred, if I
> followed correctly.

Yeah, I’m tempted to tag it as “notabug”.  WDYT?

Ludo’.