Subject: Re: bug#51965: [PATCH] Pass options from make to configure

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 10:53:22 +0100

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

> A 'make' in a repository clone builds Emacs with the default
> configuration options.  It would be useful if those who want to build
> Emacs with other configuration options they already know could do that
> without going through the three-step ./autogen.sh; ./configure
> <options>; make.  Patch attached, with which it becomes possible to
> just say e.g.:
>
> make configure=--with-x-toolkit=lucid

That sounds useful -- but if we add this, perhaps the normal Makefile
should also work this way?  That would be useful when doing bootstraps
with new configure options, which currently take two runs through
configure, which is a bore.  I.e.,

make configure=--with-x-toolkit=lucid bootstrap

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no