Subject: 29.0.50; puny-encode doesn't normalize

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:06:47 +0100

I'm reading

https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/

which says that IDNA should normalise the strings before encoding (and
lowercase, too?)  This seems to agree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

But:

(puny-encode-string "Bä.com")
=> "xn--Ba.com-xyd"

(puny-encode-string (ucs-normalize-NFKC-string "Bä.com"))
=> "xn--B.com-gra"

So I think puny-encode-string should do that first, if I'm reading TR36
right.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 17, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-11-18 built on xo
Repository revision: 7a1e5ac8b29b731e89cc9d5b498e31bd90840b9b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no