Subject: bug#51927: closed (Re: bug#51927: 27.2; Rename `highlight-nonselected-windows')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 06:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#51927: 27.2; Rename `highlight-nonselected-windows'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
51927: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=51927
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#51927: 27.2; Rename `highlight-nonselected-windows'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 08:49:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:03:45 +0000
> 
> This variable seems poorly named, in more ways than one.  Could we
> consider renaming it (by aliasing and perhaps deprecating the old name)?

This variable exists since Emacs 19.  Renaming it after all that time
would make no sense at all.

> 1. This var has no effect if `transient-mark-mode' is disabled.

That is inaccurate: it has no effect if the region is inactive (you
can have an active region even with transient-mark-mode disabled).  I
added the caveat to the doc string.

> 2. This is not really about highlighting windows.  (Yes, the
> highlighting occurs in windows, of course.  But it's the active region
> that's highlighted.)

The doc string says that.

> 3. The name says nothing about what's most important: "region".  This is
> about showing (highlighting) the _active region_ in _all_ windows.

See above: that ship sailed long ago.

> 4. The doc should explain the alternative behavior, when the var is nil:
> the active region is highlighted only in the selected window.

Added.

And with that, I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 27.2; Rename `highlight-nonselected-windows'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:03:45 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This variable seems poorly named, in more ways than one.  Could we
consider renaming it (by aliasing and perhaps deprecating the old name)?

Maybe use a name such as `show-active-region-everywhere'.  I won't fight
over the name, but I think it should have "region" in it, and ideally
"active" as well.

Not only is the name poor, but the doc is also less than ideal.

1. This var has no effect if `transient-mark-mode' is disabled.  The doc
should say something about it being relevant only for t-m-mode.  It
should say that when that's disabled the region is never "active", and
so it is never highlighted anywhere.

2. This is not really about highlighting windows.  (Yes, the
highlighting occurs in windows, of course.  But it's the active region
that's highlighted.)

3. The name says nothing about what's most important: "region".  This is
about showing (highlighting) the _active region_ in _all_ windows.

4. The doc should explain the alternative behavior, when the var is nil:
the active region is highlighted only in the selected window.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-26 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: deef5efafb70f4b171265b896505b92b6eef24e6
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19042
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19042.1288)