Subject: [bug#51923] [PATCH] gnu: Add megapixels.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 18:47:15 +0100

Petr,

'Nother quickie.

On 2021-11-17 17:07, phodina via Guix-patches via wrote:
> The problem is in the updater not handling the url
> https://git.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/megapixels.

Good thing 'he development and maintainership of Megapixels has been 
moved to gitlab.com/postmarketos/megapixels' then :-)

Could you update the URL and try again?  If you want you can report 
and/or investigate Guix's apparent failure to deal with sr.ht 
separately.

> +       (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
Use git-file-name here for convenience and to reduce the chances of such 
paste-os.

> +    (native-inputs `(("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
> +                     ("gtk:bin"
> +                      ,gtk "bin")       ; for gtk-update-icon-cache
> +                     ("glib:bin"
> +                      ,glib "bin")      ; glib-compile-schemas, etc.
> +                     ("desktop-file-utils"
> +                      ,desktop-file-utils) ; for 
> update-desktop-database
> +                     ("zbar" ,zbar)
> +                     ("libtiff" ,libtiff)
> +                     ("cmake" ,cmake)))

Please add a newline after native-inputs so you don't have to split 
inputs over 2 lines like this.  Since we're here anyway, order these 
alphabetically.

> +    (inputs `(("libhandy" ,libhandy)
> +              ("perl-image-exiftool" ,perl-image-exiftool)
> +              ("imagemagick" ,imagemagick)
> +              ("libraw" ,libraw)
> +              ("gtk" ,gtk)))

Same newline.

> +    (synopsis "Camera application")

So... ignoring the redundant 'application', this is a one-word synopsis. 
  This seems to be for mobile devices, so 'Camera applications for mobile 
devices', I guess.

> +    (description "This package provides camera application that knows
> +how to deal with the media request api.")

Whose obscure 'media request API'?  Why does that matter?  Etc.

This seems (more?) pertinent:

- Megapixels only captures raw frames and stores .dng files.
- It captures a 5 frame burst and saves it to a temporary location.
- It runs a (customisable? dunno) postprocessing script to generate the 
final JPEG file and saves it to the Pictures directory.
- It uses OpenGL to debayer the raw sensor data for the preview.

Etc.  Descriptions should not be 1-2 lines long.

> +    (home-page "https://git.sr.ht/~martijnbraam/megapixels")

Also update to GitLab?

I'll build this later today, but I don't expect to find any issues with 
the package :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.