Subject: bug#51886: 29.0.50; pixel-scroll-mode garbage collects like crazy

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 01:55:24 -0700

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> It should be a complete drop-in replacement, except for people who
> really, really, like the old line-based "pixel" scrolling.  And I think
> it's already there, sans bugs like what you are experiencing.

It still isn't clear to me why it doesn't just replace the old mode (if
we need to keep it, why not name it `pixel-scroll-old-mode'?).  Maybe
I'm missing something.

> Hmm, that sounds like a bug.  Could you please run the following code:
>
>   (progn (read-event) (message "Device: %s" last-event-device))
>
> and show what is printed once you turn your mouse wheel?

"Device: A..... G3"

BTW, is it expected that it ignores the first scroll on the mouse wheel,
and prints the above only on the second?  (Tested in both directions.)

> Try playing with pixel-scroll-precision-interpolation-total-time, and
> pixel-scroll-precision-interpolation-between-scroll.  I agree those
> options should be easier to use, and I will work on them at some point.

Thanks, that will be appreciated.

>> BTW, why isn't there a pixel-scroll defgroup under the scroll group
>> instead?  I tried `M-x customize-group RET pixel TAB' but couldn't find
>> anything relevant.
>
> Those options are under the "mouse" group, but I won't object to moving
> them into their own group.

I created a new bug report for that.