Subject: bug#51886: 29.0.50; pixel-scroll-mode garbage collects like crazy

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:15:10 +0800

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is `pixel-scroll-precision-mode' supposed to be a drop-in replacement
> for `pixel-scroll-mode'?  If yes, how close is it?

It should be a complete drop-in replacement, except for people who
really, really, like the old line-based "pixel" scrolling.  And I think
it's already there, sans bugs like what you are experiencing.

> With `pixel-scroll-mode', I can see that when I scroll slowly, scrolling
> behaves more like it would in Firefox (i.e., smooth rather than not
> choppy).
>
> With `pixel-scroll-precision-mode', I'm not sure I can spot any
> difference with or without it enabled, when scrolling with the mouse
> wheel.

Hmm, that sounds like a bug.  Could you please run the following code:

  (progn (read-event) (message "Device: %s" last-event-device))

and show what is printed once you turn your mouse wheel?

> I just found `pixel-scroll-precision-interpolate-page', which makes it
> more attractive for me to use.  Is there a way to make it scroll faster
> though?  If not, could we add such an option?

Try playing with pixel-scroll-precision-interpolation-total-time, and
pixel-scroll-precision-interpolation-between-scroll.  I agree those
options should be easier to use, and I will work on them at some point.

> BTW, why isn't there a pixel-scroll defgroup under the scroll group
> instead?  I tried `M-x customize-group RET pixel TAB' but couldn't find
> anything relevant.

Those options are under the "mouse" group, but I won't object to moving
them into their own group.

Thanks.