Subject: Re: bug#51886: 29.0.50; pixel-scroll-mode garbage collects like crazy

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 23:37:53 -0700

Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> pixel-scroll-mode is still buggy and generates an incredible amount of
> garbage.  However, pixel-scroll-precision-mode was eventually written to
> use its own code, without touching the rest of the code in
> pixel-scroll.el, so this bug report is not as relevant as it used to be.

Is `pixel-scroll-precision-mode' supposed to be a drop-in replacement
for `pixel-scroll-mode'?  If yes, how close is it?

> I'm curious as to whether or not there are people still using the old
> pixel-scroll-mode, especially since pixel-scroll-precision-mode should
> now work "out of the box" with wheel mice on X.

With `pixel-scroll-mode', I can see that when I scroll slowly, scrolling
behaves more like it would in Firefox (i.e., smooth rather than not
choppy).

With `pixel-scroll-precision-mode', I'm not sure I can spot any
difference with or without it enabled, when scrolling with the mouse
wheel.

I just found `pixel-scroll-precision-interpolate-page', which makes it
more attractive for me to use.  Is there a way to make it scroll faster
though?  If not, could we add such an option?

BTW, why isn't there a pixel-scroll defgroup under the scroll group
instead?  I tried `M-x customize-group RET pixel TAB' but couldn't find
anything relevant.