Subject: Re: bug#51886: 29.0.50; pixel-scroll-mode garbage collects like crazy

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 17:16:33 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Starting from `emacs -Q', do M-x pixel-scroll-mode RET, then configure
> it as follows:
>
>     (setq pixel-dead-time 0)
>     (setq pixel-resolution-fine-flag 1)
>     (setq garbage-collection-messages t)
>
> Then scroll the display with the mouse wheel.  It will garbage collect
> like crazy, leading to a great deal of stuttering (in emacs-28 as well).
>
> I want to reuse most of the code in pixel-scroll.el for XInput2 pixel
> scrolling, but this is holding me back, as the excessive garbage
> collection makes it completely unusable.

This was almost a year ago, and I think you've fixed a bunch of things
in this area meanwhile, if I remember correctly?  Is this bug report
still relevant?  (I haven't tried to reproduce the problem myself.)