Subject: bug#51883: 29.0.50; Command to get accidentally deleted frames back

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:00:35 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 22:59:20 +0200
> Cc: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> close 51883 29.0.50
> quit
> 
> > I tried to use this, but undelete-frame-mode in the File menu
> > makes no sense: when you mistakenly deleted a frame, you want
> > to undelete it immediately, so you open the File menu, and
> > see the message "No way, you can't undelete the deleted frame,
> > because you were careless and not enabled a special mode".
> >
> > So the most useful case for this feature is to get the
> > accidentally deleted frame back, and it fails to do this.
> >
> > Instead, it allows undeleting 16 frames in a special mode.
> > Is there really a human that can delete 16 frames, and then
> > remember what was on the 16th frame back?
> >
> > Rereading this thread indicates that the only concern about
> > enabling this by default was the memory footprint for remembering
> > 16 frames.  OTOH, this feature is really useful for remembering
> > 1 frame.  So this is what should be enabled by default:
> 
> It seems this is the right thing to do, so now pushed to master.

I'm sorry, you cannot do that.  We discussed this at some length and
reached certain conclusions.  Then you come and in effect say those
considerations and discussions make no sense, and you know better?
Let's please respect our discussions and decisions more than that.
And if you want others to respect your opinions, please respect
theirs, even if you disagree.  The feature as installed allows you to
customize it to have that mode turned on by default, so you could
easily fix your problem by doing that.

Specifically to your main argument: it is no different from deleting a
file: unless the user took steps to configure the system to allow
undeleting deleted files, deleted files are lost forever.  Moreover,
in the case of an Emacs frame, nothing of terrible importance is
actually lost: the buffers displayed in that frame are still there,
and restoring the deleted frame by hand shouldn't take more than a few
moments.

So I reverted this changeset.  Please in the future don't make such
changes unilaterally.