Subject: bug#51876: 28.0.60; Confusing prompt for setting a bookmark

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 09:12:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> This prompt is confusing: it doesn't make it clear that Emacs is
> prompting for the _name_ of the bookmark.  The word "name" (or
> anything to that effect) doesn't appear anywhere within the prompt,
> and the suggested default, which is just the file name, makes the
> intent even harder to guess, because it sounds like Emacs asks whether
> to set a bookmark in this file.

Yes.

> I also think the "unconditionally" part should be removed: it makes me
> wonder why Emacs made a point of mentioning that at all.  It also
> makes the prompt longer, thus harder to understand.

It's because of this:

---
With a prefix arg (non-nil NO-OVERWRITE), do not overwrite any
existing bookmark that has the same name as NAME, but instead push the
new bookmark onto the bookmark alist.
---

Perhaps 

         (if no-overwrite "Set bookmark" "Set bookmark unconditionally")))

should be

         (if no-overwrite "Append bookmark" "Set bookmark")))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no