Subject: bug#51876: 28.0.60; Confusing prompt for setting a bookmark

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 20:34:35 +0200

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-x C-f some-file-name RET
  C-x r m

Emacs prompts thusly:

  Set bookmark unconditionally (default some-file-name):

This prompt is confusing: it doesn't make it clear that Emacs is
prompting for the _name_ of the bookmark.  The word "name" (or
anything to that effect) doesn't appear anywhere within the prompt,
and the suggested default, which is just the file name, makes the
intent even harder to guess, because it sounds like Emacs asks whether
to set a bookmark in this file.

Please make the prompt more user-friendly.

I also think the "unconditionally" part should be removed: it makes me
wonder why Emacs made a point of mentioning that at all.  It also
makes the prompt longer, thus harder to understand.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 140, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2021-11-15 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: b418aad85a3d62aa427e7af72c96ca1d644dbc02
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56698 6812)
 (symbols 48 7801 1)
 (strings 16 21653 2791)
 (string-bytes 1 632658)
 (vectors 16 13628)
 (vector-slots 8 180022 11936)
 (floats 8 23 93)
 (intervals 40 266 116)
 (buffers 888 10))

Set bookmark unconditionally (default bookmark-test.txt):