Subject: bug#51858: 29.0.50; pcomplete not ignoring case

From: Carlos Pita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 02:47:20 -0300

Hi all,

the docstring for pcomplete-ignore-case (which is now an alias for
completion-ignore-case) says:

    Non-nil means don’t consider case significant in completion.
    For file-name completion, ‘read-file-name-completion-ignore-case’
    controls the behavior, rather than this variable.

But if I set read-file-name-completion-ignore-case to t I'm still unable
to complete, for example, "cd ~/desk<tab>" to "cd ~/Desktop" in a
shell. OTOH setting pcomplete-ignore-case to t gives the desired
completion.

I'm not sure whether something like "cd ~/desk<tab>" in a M-x shell
counts as "file-name completion" or not, but it seems to me that it
should.

Best regards,
Carlos

---

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0, NS appkit-2022.60 Version 11.6 (Build 20G165))
 of 2021-11-14 built on Carloss-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 370d4038c5a671d3b9e3a4d28d849948c1a96f53
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2022
System Description:  macOS 11.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP
XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  outline-minor-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  fido-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ns-auto-titlebar-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/carlos/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-exp
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-emacs-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/oc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/oc
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-css hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-css
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-lob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lob
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-irc
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-forth hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-forth
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-version hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-version
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-scheme hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-scheme
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-C hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-C
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-capture hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-capture
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-ref hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ref
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-clojure hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-clojure
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-ctags hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ctags
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-entities hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-entities
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-screen hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-screen
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-bibtex
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-haskell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-haskell
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-eww hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-eww
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-man hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-man
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-org
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-num hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-num
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-rmail
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-groovy hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-groovy
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-octave hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-octave
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/oc-biblatex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/oc-biblatex
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-R hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-R
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-refile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-refile
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-fortran hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-fortran
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-shell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-shell
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-perl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-perl
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-sqlite hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/oc-basic hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/oc-basic
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-sed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sed
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-ruby hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ruby
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-eval hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eval
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-goto hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-goto
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-html
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-lisp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lisp
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-eshell
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-ditaa hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-pcomplete hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-lint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-lint
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-latex
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-sass hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sass
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-tangle hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-tangle
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-calc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-calc
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-java hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-java
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-mhe
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-attach-git hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach-git
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-md hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-md
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-beamer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-beamer
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-element hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-element
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/oc-natbib hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/oc-natbib
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-gnuplot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-tempo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-tempo
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-latex
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-w3m
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-man hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-man
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-doi hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-doi
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-julia hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-julia
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-lua hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lua
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-table
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-ocaml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/oc-csl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/oc-csl
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-gnus
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-lilypond hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-matlab hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-matlab
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-docview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-docview
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-python hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-python
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-makefile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-makefile
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-duration hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-duration
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-js
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-publish
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-org
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-keys hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-keys
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-core hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-core
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-odt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-odt
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-info
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-eshell hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-eshell
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-ascii
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-koma-letter hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-koma-letter
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ol-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ol-bbdb
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-macro hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macro
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-sql hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-sql
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-processing hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-processing
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ox-texinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
~/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/ob-comint hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/ob-comint

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
noutline outline display-line-numbers elec-pair server dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs exec-path-from-shell eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt
esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util windmove corfu
icomplete winner ring recentf tree-widget wid-edit ns-auto-titlebar
minions pcase easy-mmode modus-operandi-theme modus-themes finder-inf
info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 346006 8237)
 (symbols 48 18661 0)
 (strings 32 85868 2513)
 (string-bytes 1 2323310)
 (vectors 16 26712)
 (vector-slots 8 505345 19072)
 (floats 8 130 803)
 (intervals 56 338 0)
 (buffers 992 10))